Then the making of art began.
More art vocabulary:
Chocolate Muffin Tree does a great job explaining how to do this project. I wanted the birds to be bigger, so I modified the method a bit.
Above – J-jo’s branches.
Below – Bear adding a bird with a potato half.
We used the sides of flat sponges dipped in brown paint for the tree branches.
We got a potato and cut it in half. Dipped in paint it made the perfect body for a bird.
We used a water bottle lid for the head of the bird. For the tail, we used the edge of a piece of cardboard, twisting a bit to fan out the tail.
(I helped J-jo with the birds.)
We added a nest, too. That is the best part, of course. We went outside in search of pine straw and found tons.
The finished products: